Friday, April 30, 2010

Pajamas and Trees

I got a good dose of child-like wonder last night. It was nothing huge - just Lauran taking in satiny pajama bottoms for the first time. It was the way she did it. She used each and every sense available to her in order to study and marvel at such a wonder as satiny pants. She touched them and then delighted in the new slippery texture, rubbing her little hands up and down the legs and then flapping her hands back and forth across her thighs feeling the satin on her palms as well as the back of her hands, squealing with laughter the whole time. So wide-eyed. So innocent. It made me laugh as well, but even more so it made me think. When was the last time I really took the time to thoroughly enjoy and take pleasure in anything? I couldn't remember, so this morning this sun was shining on a small fir tree and it was stunningly green, so rather than rushing off I took a minute to enjoy it's simple beauty. And you know what? I can still see it when I close my eyes because I took the time to really appreciate it. The new challenge is to try to focus on identifying and taking in the wonders around me instead of the fire in my lungs when I run tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment